Bahrain's first telecommunications link to the rest of the world
dates back to 1864, when the island was connected to the
Indo-European undersea telegraphic cable. This remained the only
telecom medium until 1931 when Cable & Wireless' predecessors
started to operate radio links that provided telegram and telephony
During the 1930's the Electricity Department operated the country's first telephone exchange with 15 staff members, two motor cars and 39 lines in operation. The first telegraphic office opened in 1947, closely followed by the installation of Bahrain's first automatic telephone exchange in 1949. The company was known at that time as the Imperial and International Communications Company, later to be incorporated in the Wireless Telegraph Company in early 1949.